Don't Rule Out A Steve Austin Wrestlemania Return

Free topics board that is open to the public.

Moderator: CW Officials

Branden Harvey

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:43 pm

2010's buyrates haven't been favorable for the WWE... Ratings are sliding... The WWE needs to have strong revenues for the first half of 2011 and usually, the "Wrestlemania bump" provides said boost. Royal Rumble to Wrestlemania is historically the WWE's strongest revenue periods of time.

I'm looking at Wrestlemania 27 and I'm scratching my head... I've initially predicted Randy Orton vs. John Cena, but, as I think about it, John Cena and Randy Orton have fought repeatedly on Pay Per Views. Granted, I'd argue that Orton's character has freshened up to make it worthwhile, but still...

Undertaker is recovering from a torn rotator cuff and might not make this year's event. I've repeatedly begged for the Rock to return, but that's dreaming. Triple H has still yet to return, but question marks exist regarding his motivation now as a high ranking WWE official and rich beyond his wildest belief. So who do you turn to for a big "Wrestlemania pop".

As luck might have it, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin.

Steve Austin had an interview with the UK Sun and some of the quotes are quite outstanding in terms of you, the wrestling fan:

Originally Posted by Steve Austin, UK Sun 10/4/10
"I'm lucky, you know my neck is 100 per cent these days, I can do my own stunts and fight scenes where I can. I don't claim to be a tough guy, but I give it a go."

"I never thought I'd say it, but when I'm asked about one more match these days I do tend to say 'never say never'. "So don't rule it out"

Now of course, what prompted this discussion was TNA and Austin made mention of Hulk Hogan's desire to return to the ring. If TNA and Panda Energy can pony up the money on a healthy Steve Austin, DO IT RIGHT NOW DAMN IT!

But I don't see TNA matching the money the WWE could offer, especially in one night like Wrestlemania 27. If Steve Austin's neck is 100%, I would offer more if I were the WWE. Steve Austin is set to turn 46 on December 18th, so the attempt to get the last few drops out of the Austin gas tank is there for the taking. Like Hogan during 2002, getting a nostalgia trip out of a WRESTLING Steve Austin (notice I said "wrestling", not stupid Sheriff riding around on a 4 wheeler Austin) would be big for the WWE.

Who wouldn't want to see John Cena vs. Steve Austin?

Shit, sign me up...
word count: 445

• Information